How do I import the demo content?
Important to note: To ensure all content is imported correctly, please be sure to have installed all of the required plugins that are noted at the top of your WP Dashboard when you first installed & activated the theme.
Also good to note: While the XML file can import the demo site's content (demo posts, demo pages, demo menu items), it cannot import the Customizer settings (such as pre-set layouts). You will need to select your homepage layout, preferred colors, enable/disable sidebar, etc. within the theme's Customizer section. It only takes a moment to do!
When downloading your theme from ThemeForest, be sure to choose the download option "All files and documentation". This will include the theme's demo content XML file within a folder titled "demo" or "demo content". You'll import this XML file into your WordPress Dashboard to import the various demo site posts, pages, images, etc. for your theme.
- On your WordPress dashboard in the left-hand menu, select Tools > Import.
- Select the "WordPress" option. If you haven't used the WP Importer before, you may need to first install it and activate it (it will give you this option on the spot if required).
- Click the "Browse" button and find the theme's demo content XML file.
- You will be given the option of choosing which "author" name will be assigned to the imported content. Otherwise, click "Submit".
This will import the demo site's images, posts, pages, etc.
Importing widgets and Customizer settings
Please note that the WordPress Importer won't import the Customizer settings or widgets from the demo website. In upcoming theme updates, we'll be including import files for these demo settings as well. However, in the meantime, feel free to reach out to us via a new support ticket and let us know you'd like these widget and Customizer import files. We'd be happy to provide them to you!
Once you have the 2 additional import files, you can follow these steps:
IMPORTING THE DEMO SITE WIDGETS:
- First, ensure you've installed and activated any required or recommended plugins the theme notifies you of at the top of your WP Dashboard area.
- Navigate to WP Dashboard > Plugins > Add New > and install/activate the plugin "Widget Importer & Exporter" (https://wordpress.org/plugins/widget-importer-exporter/).
- Go to WP Dashboard > Tools > Widget Importer & Exporter > Choose File. Select the file titled "solopine.com-themename-widgets.wie" (Please note that the "themename" portion of the file name I just wrote will be whatever theme you have). Click "Import Widgets".
- You can disable/delete the "Widget Importer & Exporter" plugin when finished if you'd like.
IMPORTING THE DEMO SITE CUSTOMIZER SETTINGS:
- Navigate to WP Dashboard > Plugins > Add New > and install/activate the plugin "Customizer Export/Import" (https://wordpress.org/plugins/customizer-export-import/).
- Go to WP Dashboard > Appearance > Customize > Export/Import > Choose File. Select the file titled "themename-export.dat" (Please note that the "themename" portion of the file name I just wrote will be whatever theme you have).
- Check the box option "Download and import image files?".
- Click the "Import" button.
- You can disable/delete the "Customizer Export/Import" plugin when finished if you'd like.